“If we can develop the ability to be aware of the present moment, we can use the past as a guide for ordering our actions in the future, so that we may attain our goal.” ~ S.N. Goenka
- I’ve double-checked course dates. A ten-day course actually spans 12 days in total. Please double-check your course finish date and make plans accordingly.
- I know how to get to the center. For directions see Getting Here.
- I have the center’s phone number: +1 360-436-6137
- I have packed everything I need.
What to Bring
- twin-size bottom sheet (please bring a bottom sheet for the mattress even if you will be using a sleeping bag)
- sleeping bag and/or top sheet and warm blankets.
A twin-size bed with a mattress and pillow is provided for each student.
- We provide a large base mat and meditation cushions or benches for every student.
- Please bring your own cushion, blanket, or meditation shawl if you prefer to use them.
- Modest dress as outlined in the Code of Discipline is required for both men and women.
- Please bring an adequate supply of loose and comfortable clothing, without distracting images and words, which covers the body from over the shoulders to below the knees, even when sitting. These guidelines allow other students to focus on their meditation more easily. Bring enough clothing for ten days, as only minimal hand washing facilities are available.
- Please don’t bring distracting clothing. Tight, transparent, revealing or otherwise striking clothing, such as shorts, short skirts, tights, leggings, tank, low-cut or skimpy tops, should not be worn at the center.
- sweaters or other warm layers (as needed)
Temperatures range from 25°F (-5°C) to 60°F (15°C) with a good chance of rain from September through June, and from 45°F (7°C) to 95°F (35°C) during the summer. Dressing in layers is helpful for dealing with changing weather conditions. All indoor areas are heated to about 68°F.
- warm jacket and/or raincoat
- warm hat
Participants must go outdoors several times a day to walk back and forth from the residences to the meditation hall and dining hall. The items above may not be needed during the summer months.
- Please bring towels, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, unscented personal hygiene articles, shampoo, insect repellent, shaving kit, feminine sanitary supplies.
- Please don’t bring perfumes, aftershaves, strongly scented toiletries, powders or any other products that have a strong smell.
- Please bring any prescribed medication you are taking. Please make sure you bring enough for the entire course.
- Drinking water bottle
- Indoor footwear/slippers: easy slip-ons e.g. clogs, flip flops, etc.
- an FDA-approved rapid antigen test for your own Day 0 test. Examples include the Abbot Binax and the iHealth COVID-19 rapid antigen test. Please bring the complete test kit, along with test instructions, to the Center
- at least 4 masks (n95, KN95, or KF94) whether you are sitting or serving a course
Please Do Not Bring
- books, diaries, journals and other reading/writing materials
- electronic equipment such as smartphones, personal computers, or tablets (alarm clocks are provided)
- musical instruments
- personal food items
- tobacco in any form
- non-prescribed drugs (you may bring supplements and vitamins with permission)
- perfumes or strongly scented toiletries
- religious or spiritual objects
- jewelry or other unnecessary valuables